I apparently did a lot of my daydreaming and poem writing in church, because I found this one on the back of another church bulletin. It’s dated September 10, 1977 and our class members did the Sabbath School, though I can’t figure out why, as we had already graduated.
I tried to tell you of the God I know
And you smiled and walked away.
Now many years have come and gone
And I have this to say:
You heard my words, but looked at me
And something wasn’t right.
I sometimes walked in darkness
When I spoke about The Light.
You tried to look into my eyes
To see what’s on my mind
But all that you could really see
Is the mask I hid behind.
My friend, I plead, don’t follow me,
For I’m no one at all.
I’m simply human.
I will stumble and I’ll fall.
If you look for me, I may be hiding
Behind that old façade.
So if you seek perfection,
Seek not man, but God.
- Liz Carson
10 Sept 1977, Newbury Park, CA
No comments:
Post a Comment